Vegan French Toast
This recipe takes only 10 minutes using everyday ingredients. You won’t miss the eggs at all in this delicious weekend morning breakfast. A secret ingredient makes these French toast incredibly crisp, thick, and perfect!
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6-8 slices thick-sliced quality bread, such as ciabatta or french
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil for frying
- For serving: maple syrup, powdered sugar, or fresh fruit
- In a shallow bowl, wide enough to hold a piece of bread, whisk together the soy milk, cornstarch, ground flaxseeds, baking powder, cinnamon, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add a little bit of vegan butter/coconut oil to a pan over medium-high heat and melt. Whisk the batter again right before dipping bread, as the cornstarch will settle to the bottom of the bowl.
- Dip each side of the bread in the batter and let soak for about 10 seconds, then add the bread to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Add more vegan butter/oil to the pan as needed in between pieces of bread.
- Serve with maple syrup, powdered sugar, and fresh fruit, if desired.
- May use any kind of non-dairy milk, such as soy, coconut, almond, cashew, or oat milk.
- For the gluten-free vegan french toast, use gluten-free bread.
- This recipe does not freeze well and is best served fresh.
serving: 1serving, calories: 404kcal, carbohydrates: 69g, protein: 12g, fat: 8g, saturated fat: 2g, sodium: 648mg, potassium: 165mg, fiber: 2g, sugar: 3g, vitamin a: 524iu, calcium: 141mg, iron: 1mg
Breakfast Doesn’t Have to Stop Here
Source: Nora Cooks