Vegan Garlic Knots Recipe
Do you know those garlicky, buttery, perfect knots that you get at your local pizza joint? Well, we are here to bring these to you…but VEGAN. Yup, you heard us – get ready to make these vegan garlic knots that are just as delicious as the non-vegan ones we all know and love.
Plus, the dough is made with only FOUR ingredients. All you need is a little bit of time and patience.
- 4 cups flour + extra for dusting
- 2 1/4 tsp. fast-rising yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. vegan butter
- 1 tbsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. parsley
- 2+ tbsp. olive oil
- Vegan parmesan cheese for topping
- Marinara for serving
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Whisk together and let sit for ~10 minutes, until the yeast is dissolved and it starts to bubble.
- While the yeast is dissolving, combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Mix together.
- Once the yeast is dissolved, add it to the flour mixture.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, then form into a ball.
- Grease a large stainless steel bowl with ~1 tsp. of olive oil and place the kneaded dough into the bowl. Toss the dough a couple of times so that it is completely covered in olive oil.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and set aside for one hour (it should double in size).
- Once the dough has risen and the hour has passed, make the buttery topping. Mix together the melted butter, garlic salt, and dried herbs in a small bowl and set aside.
- Lightly dust a large surface with flour and place the dough on top. Using a rolling pin, gently roll out the dough into a rounded rectangular shape that is ~1 inch thick.
- Cut the dough vertically, creating strips that are ~1 inch wide (should create about 12 strips of dough).
- Horizontally (and evenly) cut the dough two more times, creating about 36 small strips (picture above for reference).
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Grease two baking sheets with olive oil.
- Time to knot! Gently roll and stretch the dough until they are about 4-5 inches long and you can gently tie into a knot.
- Continue to knot each piece of dough and place on the baking sheets.
- Gently brush each garlic knot with a bit of olive oil and place into the oven.
- Let cook for 16-18 minutes until they are lightly browned on top.
- When the knots are done cooking, take out of the oven and brush with the buttery herb topping.
- Transfer to a plate or platter and top with vegan parmesan cheese.
- Serve with marinara or dip of choice (these are also delicious with vegan ranch if we do say so ourselves)!
Looking for a Meal to Go With Your Snack?
Try Clo-Clo Vegan Frozen Pizzas. They make an excellent choice to pair with any snack. Find them at a SPROUTS store near you.
Source: Six Vegan Sisters